Tuesday, February 8, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things!

 Its like Oprah! Only I'm not giving you any of these things.  And these companies probably won't benefit too much from my recommendations. Ok, so I guess its nothing like Oprah. I'm alright with that. Anyway, baby stuff. The stuff part of a new baby is a booming business. Everyone has really pricey things you absolutely need before you welcome your new bundle into the world. Babies really don't need any of these, but these are things we really love having to help out!

The Moby Wrap!
We love love love this thing! We have an Ergo too, but I just prefer the Moby at this stage. I can put it on when we leave the house, drive with it on, etc. and not take it off til we're home, or leave it on at home too! Around the house I can get chores done when he just doesn't want to be put down, and it gives me two hands. Out and about I don't look like I'm backpacking at the mall, it's almost chic. Some people are even surprised he's there when he's napping. I've heard several "Oh, there's a baby!" when he's finally spotted. Wearing him out keeps me from having to haul his bucket in and out of the car and stores, especially cramped for space older buildings in the city and again, leaves me with 2 hands for shopping and errand running. It's machine washable and DB thinks its super comfortable.


"Tim" our Cloud b Twilight Turtle!
We use Tim every single night! He was a total life-saver when we were up every 2 hours for changing and nursing., I only wish we had him from the very beginning. It's way cool, it clearly projects constellationson the ceiling and walls, and the shell glows enough to see what you're doing, but not enough to wake the baby, making it easier to transition back to sleep. I also really like that when you turn it on, it doesn't shock your eyes painfully, its easy to fall asleep with it on, and it can be clicked back off, or it shuts off via timer after about 45 minutes, so you don't have to get back up to shut it off. Also, it projects in 3 colors, so you aren't stuck with the same old thing, even if you're incredibly sleep deprived. DB loves looking at the stars while we rock to sleep at night.

The Woombie!
We registered for a few other swaddling products, and its a good thing we did, because it just so happens our little DB is a light sleeper with impressively powerful and control-free arm movements. He will wake himself up by jumping violently and then becoming very upset. We loved the ones we had, they were less expensive, and they did a great job, but had some drawbacks, like DB's hands would work out the middle, or he couldn't move his arms at all, even to stretch a little, so we had to re-swaddle every few hours. Then I bit the bullet and bought the woombie. Best. Decision. Ever. It does cost a little more, but I think its worth every penny! First, it has two zippers, so you can unzip from the bottom and leave the arms swaddled for a swaddled diaper change! *score!* Second, its all super stretchy, so DB can stretch his limbs gently, without waking, and the woombie just snuggles his arms back to him in whatever position he chooses, so he feels safe but can still move. Bonus: They're Velcro free! I'm a big fan of Velcro free, to avoid crazy baby clothing laundry chains. Worth every penny! 


The Nap Nanny! (*kinda*)
Ok, kinda tricky, this one. Let me start by saying I'm loving having this! We've been fighting some reflux issues with DB, and this keeps him upright but lets his tummy stretch out. For the first time I'm able to sit him down for more than 5 minutes without him going into screaming hysterics and spitting up all over! That being said, I don't think I'd pay full price for it. I mean, I'm a penny pincher, but I think this is over the top expensive! So I guess the bottom line is, I recommend the product, but try and snag one used! We got ours off Craigslist for almost 30% of the original price, and it was very lightly used. 

 

4 comments:

  1. I like hearing your experiences with these products (and DB). Helps me spend my dollars wisely when buying gifts for the many mommy/babies we know. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of these Cort! I have sent your blog to a friend. She is shopping for a gift for her sister (just found out she is having a boy, her first baby). PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney,
    My best friend Kristin L gave me your blog link and I am SO glad she did! I have already bought the Moby wrap, she said you had it on like the whole time you guys hung out :) I am so glad you are taking the time to share your experiences! Its been really helpful :) I'm looking into the woombie. I'm thinking I'll wait till baby is here (I'm 8 months) and see what he/she likes. I have some swaddlers and sleep sacks. Its so hard to know what to buy and your suggestions have been great! Keep up the great work!
    Vonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Vonnie! If you get a chance, try out the baby K'tan, it's a moby-like wrap that I hope to try if I ever get the opportunity to have a smaller infant again! So glad you like the blog! :) ~ Nytepyre (AKA Cort)

    ReplyDelete