Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"I Spy" Shake Jar

I buy most of my dry goods in bulk, and sometimes the last little quarter cup or so gets lost in the cabinet. Today I was attempting to clean out our cabinets when I found a bag of odds and ends: rice, split peas, lentils who were waiting for me. I had intended to use them as a scooping toy in the spring or summer outdoors, but I  haven't been totally sold on it, as with many city domiciles, we have some rodents about and I neither want to feed them nor do I want DB playing near them. I also don't want a toddler rice scooping party in my kitchen. Things like that happen enough spontaneously, and I go along with the flow, kids should be kids, after all, but I'm not quite ready to just unleash grainapalooza 2012 in the house. Then it hit me! The perfect solution! An I Spy Shake Jar!

I used to work in a book store, we also sold little toys and games and the one I found most nifty was a tall cylinder full of small wooden pellets the size of sprinkles and little trinkets. The goal was to twist and turn and shake the jar until you found every trinket listed as being in the jar. These things are crazy expensive for what they are, and I always told anyone who would listen "you could make that for so much cheaper..." (This is just ONE of the many reasons I will never pursue a job in sales) So today, that's exactly what I did!

"I Spy" Shake Jar:

  • Empty jar, preferably plastic, with a well-fitting lid. Taller is better than wider, as you want to be able to maximize space against the sides and minimize "hidden" space in the middle. I used a Hellman's Mayo jar. 
  • Rice, Sand, Tiny Somethings to fill the space with
  • Trinkets! 20-50 little things you have lying about. Check the bottom of your purse, drawers, that costume jewelry box, the scrapbook drawer, tool box, or yard. :) I'm including my list of 40 for inspiration. Just make sure it's something that can't go bad and isn't TOO big. You'll have a chance to edit!
Place your trinkets first. I made a list as I put them in, so I know what's in the jar. The older future DB will like to have specific things to look for, for now, 15 month old DB just likes that he has something wonderfully heavy to carry around, shake, and see what he sees. I like that it's too heavy to throw at me or the cats. It's a cool toy that's fun for tots, kids, even teens and adults.

Once your trinkets are in the jar, top it off within about half an inch of the top with your filler. Screw on the lid and test it out. If you want more filler, add, if you want less, subtract. If you feel like you have a trinket too large, go ahead and take it out. I think that having enough filler than there doesn't appear to be space when the lid is all the way on is perfect. it is actually plenty of shake space when you turn it upside down.  Once you're satisfied with your jar, put a ring of hot glue just inside the lip of the lid and screw it on tight. You're all done!

 You could print out the list and tie it on, glue it to the lid, or leave it the way it is. This project is highly customizable and the possibilities are endless.  You could make one with a theme, have several different types on hand, or make them as an activity at a child's party. It's a great travel toy for cars or planes, waiting rooms, rainy days, or just for quiet time.





1. Cork                                                           21.Yellow Car
2. Penny                                                          22. Diaper Pin
3. Nickle                                                         23. Tiny Bow
4. Dime                                                           24. Toothpick
5. Quarter                                                       25. Claw-type paperclip
6. Wooden Spoon                                           26. Anchor Charm
7. Wooden Bead                                             27. Butterfly Earring
8. Purple Flower Ring                                      28. Red Leather Heart
9. Cardboard Letter E                                     29. Red Ribbon Lapel Pin
10 Cardboard Letter O                                   30. Skeleton Key
11. Cardboard Letter N                                   31. Yellow Paper Clip
12. Bobbin Spool                                            32. Sewing Pin
13. 5 Gold Beads (snipped from a necklace)    33. Golf Pencil
14. Screw                                                        34. Green Pony Bead
15. Bent Nail                                                   35. Turquoise Bead
16. AA Battery                                                36. Rubber Band
17. Metal Washer                                            37. Brown Button
18. Thumb Tack                                              38. Puzzle Piece
19. Bobby Pin                                                 39.  Infant Nail File
20. Red Kidney Bean                                      40. Silver Pearl

3 comments:

  1. omg i love this! i saw something like this on pinterest! i totally need to stop slacking and do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! My LO is currently obsessed with opening anything with a lid (and becomes very frustrated when he can't), so this project will have to wait until we've moved past this phase. In the meantime, I'll start looking out for trinkets to include.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little boys are in the taking lids off stage also so I hot glued the lid to the jar

    ReplyDelete